Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Whack a Mole

My Domain Name

Although I have titled my blog, "Chasing Butterflies" this particular domain name already blogs to someone else in the blog spot world. In an attempt to find a name that would be somewhat memorable I went through all sorts of variations of my blog title. But alas, they were all taken.

I was starting to become, as my Father-in-Law puts it, "Temperamental."

Then I remembered my dubious family nickname. The Whack a Mole.

I decided to go for, "Whack The Mole" and as I typed the letters in I waited for the dreaded announcement of "domain not available." But to my surprise, joy, ecstatic ravings, one foot hopping elation filled surprise, it was AVAILABLE! So I clicked and clacked and clicked again and voila, here we reside.

Now if you have a whit of common sense, and you must if you are reading my blog, you will wonder why I have earned the name "Whack a Mole." You may want to shield your sensibilities dear reader for it is not a pretty story...

Actually, it is not in an ugly story either. Pathetic perhaps, but we will get to that. I must admit to you all that I have been re-reading Jane Eyre for the (what feels like) zillionth time and there is a decidedly Brontesque feeling to my writing today. Please indulge my fanciful whim.

I am a medical travesty. At this point in my life (I am 38) I have been through the proverbial medical "wringer." And yes, I have even skirted the edge of the hand of death, a place I wish never to return. As this blog progresses we will no doubt journey together through many of my medical maladies.

Yet, like the great mythical bird called the Phoenix, I rise again and again from the ashes, to once more "tread the mortal coil." Enter the playful old time fair game: Whack a Mole.

This game is mostly known to all. It is a simple premise. There are usually five holes. In each hole hides a mole. You use a large sledge hammer type item as your weapon (usually made out of a cushiony material as to not injure yourself or those playing next to you). When the bell buzzes you commence to "whack" any mole that dares to peep its face out of its hole as fast as you can, thus sending it scurrying back into darkness. Whoever "whacks" the most moles in the time given wins the game.

My medical issues follow the premise of this game. No sooner do I recover from one issue, poke my head out, and cautiously look around, that the hammer of medical doom slams me back down with a new problem. I am a member of the "whack a mole" club. Over the years I have met other unfortunate members of this society. Thankfully we are a small number.

It may sound cruel to some of you that my family bestowed such a name upon me. I, however, am eternally grateful. It always gives the delivery of bad news a slight light-hearted spin. Any negative medical news is prefaced with, "The Whack a Mole has struck again!"

Happy and lucky are we this evening as I have the honor of telling you all that "Whack a Mole" just slammed me down a few moments ago. I just learned that an infection that I have been treated for three times, with three different oral antibiotics, has yet again returned. This time only three days after I ended the last course of medication. (Are you noticing a three theme here??). Sigh. Tomorrow I will call the doctor. He said IV medication would be the next step. Double sigh.

I need to go finish Jane Eyre. She has just returned to Thornfield to witness it being a fiery ruin. Soon she will reunite with Rochester. The words that were earlier running off my fingers at lightening speed have now slowed. My writing well has dried to dust for the evening.

Yes. "WhackTheMole" is the perfect domain for this insane blog. I'm gonna go dig some tunnels!

No comments:

Post a Comment